Greens Powder for Bloating
Bloating is one of the most common issues that nearly every person experiences at some point in life. It can be caused by many reasons. The popularity of taking greens powder for bloating is increasing day by day. And obviously, there are good reasons.
Greens powder not only just works on bloating, but also improves the overall digestive function and helps prevent a variety of digestive problems.
In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know regarding the effects of greens powder for bloating along with how much you need and possible adverse effects. But we’ll start with the basics of bloating first.
Table of contents
- What is bloating?
- Symptoms of bloating
- Causes of bloating
- What are greens powders?
- How greens powders can help reduce bloating
- How to use greens powders
- Precautions and side effects
- Final words
What is bloating?
Bloating, medically known as abdominal bloating, is a health condition in which the gut (gastrointestinal tract or GI tract including stomach and intestines) is filled with gas or air. Bloating makes people feel tight, full, and distended (swollen) in the abdomen, sometimes with hardness and pain.
Symptoms of bloating
Signs and symptoms of bloating may vary. Most common symptoms include:
- Flatulence or excess gas
- Distended or swollen abdomen
- Frequent belching or burping
- Gurgles or rumbling in the abdomen
- Abdominal cramp and pain
Causes of bloating
There are certain conditions in the body that play a significant role in developing factors that often cause bloating or gas in the abdomen. They may include:
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Intolerance of certain food groups such as carbohydrates
- Altered gut motility or improper peristalsis
- Abnormal viscerosomatic reflex that creates pressure on the diaphragm
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Certain irritable bowel diseases (IBD) like ulcerative colitis
- Gas accumulation
- Impaired gas transit
- Acid-alkaline imbalance (pH imbalance)
What are greens powders?
As the name suggests, greens powders are powdered forms of dietary supplements that are made from a wide range of green sources such as vegetables and grasses. Greens powders have been found increasingly popular among people who do not take sufficient vegetables and fruits to meet their daily recommended intake of minerals and vitamins.
Green powders can be taken by mixing them into water or other liquids. In general, they contain over 30 to 40 natural ingredients, which may vary depending on the brands.
The most common ingredients of greens powders include:
- Antioxidant-rich fruits - apple, goji, pomegranates, strawberries, and tart cherries among others
- Leafy greens - kale, spinach, parsley, collards, and more
- Other vegetables - broccoli, carrots, tomatoes, beets, green cabbages, etc.
- Seaweed - chlorella, spirulina, kelp, dulse, and more
- Grasses - alfalfa grass, barley grass, wheatgrass, and oat grass among others
- Herbs - milk thistle, echinacea, holy basil, astragalus, etc.
- Probiotics - Bifidobacterium lactis, Lactobacillus, Acidophilus, etc.
- Mushrooms - shiitake mushroom extract, maitake mushroom extract
- Nutritional extracts - ginkgo biloba extract, green tea extract, grape seed extract
- Plant-based digestive enzymes - papain, lipase, amylase, protease, cellulase
- Natural sugar substitutes - monk fruit extract, stevia leaf extract
- Extra fibers - inulin, rice bran, apple fiber
While greens powder supplements are prepared generally using dried produce and then ground into powder, some components can be extracted from whole foods or other compounds may be juiced and then dehydrated.
How greens powders can help reduce bloating
Greens powder supplements contain high levels of dietary fibers, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and anti-inflammatory components and all of these constituents have significant potential to reduce bloating as well as improve overall digestive health. Strong digestive health lowers the chances of bloating.
Greens powders can help improve bowel movements and relieve constipation. Regular bowel movements decrease the retention of gas in the gut, resulting in relief from bloating.
Besides, greens powders have the capacity to neutralize acids and reduce overall acid loads by balancing pH levels, which can decrease the production of gas in the gut.
In a 2008 study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports, Nutrition researchers found that the use of plant-based dietary supplementation for at least seven days can increase urinary pH in healthy men and women, potentially enhancing the alkalinity of the body.
How to use greens powders
Greens powder supplements can be taken by adding into recipes or beverages such as soups, omelets, salad dressings, smoothies, juices, milk, and water. Recommended dosages of greens powders may vary depending on the brands and ingredients used.
However, in general, 10 grams to 30 grams of greens powder can be taken per day. These dosages may be taken into two to three divided doses throughout the day.
For best results, ask your nutritionist or follow the instructions of the container of the greens powder you consider taking. Do not heat while preparing your favorite greens powder blend since it may spoil some important nutrients such as probiotics or vitamins C.
Precautions and side effects
Greens powders are prepared from nutrient-dense green sources and may be concentrated in certain specific nutrients and vitamins. Therefore, some people may experience hypersensitivity reactions such as rash, fever, and scaly skin. But these side effects are not common for all.
While greens powders help reduce bloating in the long run, in an initial stage a sudden load of nutrients may cause gastrointestinal discomfort including gas, cramp, and bloating for a few days. Besides, excess levels of certain types of vitamins may interfere with certain medications.
It’s highly recommended to seek the direct supervision of a certified nutritionist or healthcare professional before taking greens powder supplements especially if you’re taking any medications, pregnant, breastfeeding, or considering taking greens powder for more than three months.
Greens powders contain a combination of probiotics, leafy greens, digestive enzymes, antioxidant fruits, and healthy seaweeds that can help improve overall digestive function as well as reduce various gastrointestinal issues such as bloating, gas, constipation, and abdominal cramps.
Since greens powders contain higher levels of nutrients like vitamins, some people may experience mild side effects such as skin rashes and stomach upset. Always consult with a qualified natural medicine professional before taking greens powder for bloating or any reason.
Here you can see Vorst’s pure and natural Multi-Greens Powder 600G.