Dim For Acne
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment
Acne affects around 9.4% of the total worldwide population. It is a skin condition in which your hair follicles get clogged up with dead skin cells, oil, dirt, and bacteria.
Acne-prone skin is a real struggle. It can spoil your special moments without any warning. You might be planning to attend a party, but then looking at acne in the mirror can kill the mood entirely.
In some cases, acne also causes emotional distress. Acne scars present on the visible parts body can lower self-esteem and self-confidence and can even lead to social anxiety and depression.
There are different skincare regimes, and specific diets for acne but they are often difficult to keep up with. Fortunately, we have DIM supplements that are easy to incorporate into your daily routine and can do wonders for acne.
The type of acne that is related to hormonal imbalance is known as hormonal acne. Estrogen is the main hormone that affects acne however testosterone can affect it too.
CAUSES OF HORMONAL ACNE
The physiological processes like menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause are the reasons why women are more vulnerable to hormonal imbalance. When estrogen levels fall the hormonal acne flares up.
Estrogen also affects the level of sebum in glands. Sebum is a naturally producing oil found in sebaceous glands. It moisturizes your skin. When estrogen increases the level of sebum it clogs up your pores and causes the most severe form of acne i.e.cystic acne, especially in the region of the chin.
SYMPTOMS OF HORMONAL ACNE
People with hormonal acne generally complaints about:
Blackheads and whiteheads are the milder forms of acne while cysts and nodules are considered the severe types which often leave long-term scars.
The most common site for acne is the lower part of your face, particularly the jawline, cheeks, and mouth.
HOW IS DIM BENEFICIAL FOR ACNE?
Diindolylmethane (DIM) is a phytonutrient found mainly in broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. It’s proven to balance hormonal imbalances and therefore it is a great fit for acne.
DIM is a potent metabolizer of the estrogen hormone. It boosts the levels of good estrogen also known as 2-hydroxy and reduces the level of bad estrogen called 16-hydroxy. DIM can also inhibit the activity of the aromatase enzyme which converts testosterone into estrogen. Maintaining the levels of estrogen helps DIM to prevent acne.
DIM also acts as an androgen blocker. It blocks androgen receptors and hinders the entry of testosterone into the receptors. In this way, DIM protects us from the harmful effects of testosterone such as acne.
OTHER BENEFITS OF DIM
Apart from being an excellent anti-acne supplement DIM also has several other benefits including:
- Potential Chemopreventative Effects – DIM supplements may prevent the growth and spread of breast cancer. It may also have a protective effect against ovarian cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer.
- Promotes weight loss – One of the key regulators of fat accumulation is estrogen. With its ability to metabolize estrogen, the DIM can help you lose weight. DIM supplements can also stimulate the breakdown of fat and inhibit the formation of fat cells.
- Protect prostate – DIM supplementation can protect men from the enlargement of prostate and prostate cancer. It can also fight PIN (prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia) which is a precursor lesion for prostate cancer.
- Rectify estrogen imbalance in men – More than normal levels of estrogen affect the body of men negatively. It can lead to enlarged breasts (gynecomastia), erectile dysfunction, and even infertility. DIM supplements can correct the imbalance of estrogen in men and can prevent all these negative consequences.
- Relieve PMS symptoms – PMS or premenstrual syndrome symptoms include mood swings, irritability, headaches, bloating, abdominal pain, and breast tenderness.
These symptoms appear due to the cyclic changes in the levels of estrogen on monthly basis. DIM supplements can increase the levels of good estrogen and at the same time decrease the levels of bad estrogen.
Therefore, DIM supplementation can relieve those symptoms of premenstrual syndrome and provide you some comfort in those difficult days of the month.
- Reduce hot flashes – A sudden feeling of warmth in your upper body is known as a hot flash. It is usually more intense in the region of your face, neck, and chest. Your skin becomes red and can also make you sweat.
These hot flashes mainly occur due to hormonal changes, especially in menopause. DIM supplements can manage the hormonal imbalance in your body and is therefore effective in reducing those episodes of hot flashes.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR DIM TO SHOW ITS RESULTS?
Each person has a different skin type and leads a different lifestyle. Therefore, there can be no exact answer to this question. For some people, it might take a few days or weeks to manage their acne and for some, it can even take months.
It all depends on your skin type and its current condition, the food you eat, and your lifestyle. Hence, it is recommended that you try to eat eat and live healthy to boost the effects of DIM.
RECOMMENDED DOSAGE FOR DIM
The typical dose for DIM ranges from 100 to 190mg per day. Studies have shown that up to 200mg of DIM daily is well tolerated and doesn’t cause any adverse side effects.
However, it is always advised that you speak to your physician to get the personalized dosage curated according to your needs.
SIDE EFFECTS OF DIM
The side effects of DIM are generally moderate. These include:
- Increased bowel movements
- Skin rash
Although DIM is considered safe to use as a daily supplement but the following groups of people should take precautionary measures and consult their doctor before starting DIM supplementation.
- Pregnant and lactating women – Although you consume DIM through dietary sources during pregnancy and breastfeeding but there is not enough research available to prove the safety of DIM supplements in pregnant and lactating women. Hence, try not to take DIM supplements when you are pregnant or consult your doctor for proper guidance if you still intend to use them.
- Children – There is a very limited amount of knowledge available regarding the use of DIM supplements in children. So stay on the safe side and avoid giving DIM supplementation to your kids unless you have consulted your physician or pediatrician about it.
- People with hormone-sensitive conditions – The hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, and uterine fibroids can get worse due to the estrogen-like effect of DIM. Hence, do not use DIM supplements without the consultation of your physician if you have any of these underlying medical conditions.
INTERACTIONS OF DIM WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS
DIM is a natural compound that can interact with drugs that you might be taking for any underlying condition. Below are some common interactions of DIM that you should know about:
DIURETICS AND DIM
Diuretics work by decreasing the level of sodium in your body. DIM supplements can also negatively affect sodium levels. When someone takes DIM and diuretics together their sodium levels can drop too low.
DRUGS METABOLIZED BY THE LIVER AND DIM
There are some medicines that we consume in their inactive forms. When they enter your body, the liver metabolizes/breaks down these medicines into their active form. It is this active form that has therapeutic effects.
When you take DIM supplements along with such medications then DIM can alter the rate of metabolism for these medicines by the liver. As a result, you will not be able to achieve the desired therapeutic effects of these drugs. This change in the metabolism of drugs can also increase their side effects.
HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY AND DIM
DIM generally has estrogen-like effects on your body. However, in some cases, it can also oppose the effects of estrogen. Therefore consuming large amounts of DIM supplements can interfere with hormone replacement therapy.
Acne is a very common skincare concern among all age groups except for children. You might have heard of different diet plans, DIY remedies, and other lifestyle changes to fight acne. There are also cosmetic treatments available against acne. But all these ways to manage your acne are either expensive or difficult to incorporate into your daily routine.
However, DIM supplements are both affordable and easy to use. DIM manages hormonal imbalances and blocks androgen receptors to fight acne. Not only this but DIM can also prevent certain types of cancer, promotes weight loss, and can relieve premenstrual syndrome (PMS) symptoms.
It is recommended to consult your health care provider before starting DIM supplements especially if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, or taking medicines for any underlying health problems.
Here you can see Vorst's vegan DIM Capsules 200mg.