Ceylon Cinnamon for PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome)
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written for informational and educational purposes only and is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment
PCOS or polycystic ovary syndrome is one of the most prevalent hormonal disorders among women that affects the reproductive system and causes infertility in women at reproductive age. Ceylon cinnamon, a common household spice, shows incredible therapeutic properties that can benefit PCOS in many ways. Recent studies are unfolding many beneficial effects of Ceylon cinnamon for PCOS and its associated symptoms.
In this article, we’ll discuss some of the amazing benefits of using Ceylon cinnamon for PCOS that are backed by science. But, before getting into the potential health benefits of Ceylon cinnamon for PCOS, it’s worth knowing the basics of PCOS first. So, let’s get started.
Table of contents
- What is PCOS?
- Symptoms of PCOS
- Causes of PCOS
- Complications of PCOS
- What is Ceylon cinnamon?
- How Ceylon cinnamon can help with PCOS
- How to use Ceylon cinnamon
- Precautions and side effects
- Final words
What is PCOS?
PCOS refers to the polycystic ovary syndrome which is one of the most common endocrine as well as reproductive disorders among women found at reproductive age. PCOS may show up a variety of symptoms such as painful and prolonged menstrual periods that may lead to certain serious health complications like miscarriage and diabetes.
Symptoms of PCOS
Symptoms of PCOS and their severity may vary depending on the body weight and other associated health conditions. Symptoms of PCOS are generally more severe in overweight or obese women. Diagnosis is made after seeing two or more of the following symptoms.
- Polycystic ovaries - Women with PCOS might have enlarged ovaries that contain small cysts, leading to the functional irregularity of the ovaries.
- Menstrual irregularity - Irregular, infrequent, or abnormally heavy periods are the most common symptoms of PCOS.
- Excess male hormone - Excess male hormone levels result in excess hair growth on the face and body which is called hirsutism.
Causes of PCOS
The exact cause of PCOS isn’t clearly known yet. Studies suggest the following factors might be involved in the development of PCOS.
- Insulin resistance and excess insulin levels in the body
- Low-grade inflammation
- Excess levels of androgen (male hormones)
Complications of PCOS
A variety of complications may result from PCOS, including:
- Premature childbirth or miscarriage
- Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) or prediabetes
- Obesity and sleep apnea
- Metabolic syndrome with high blood pressure and elevated cholesterols that significantly increase the risk of developing heart and blood disorders
- Liver inflammation caused by excess fat
- Eating disorders
- Anxiety and depression
- Certain types of uterine cancer
What is Ceylon cinnamon?
Ceylon cinnamon, also known as true cinnamon, is derived from a small evergreen tree botanically called Cinnamomum verum that primarily grows in Sri Lanka. There are two major types of cinnamon - Ceylon and Cassia. Ceylon cinnamon is considered the best one in terms of medicinal properties and safety profile.
How Ceylon cinnamon can help with PCOS
Ceylon cinnamon can help women with PCOS in many ways. The benefits of Ceylon cinnamon for PCOS are huge including stabilizing hormonal balance, improving insulin resistance, supporting the menstrual cycle and ovulation to name a few.
Let’s have a look at some of the most prominent health benefits of Ceylon cinnamon for PCOS.
Health benefits of Ceylon cinnamon for PCOS
- Ceylon cinnamon may help address insulin resistance and decrease blood sugar levels
- It may help reduce inflammation in the body
- It can improve hormonal imbalances and may help restore normal menstrual function
- It helps alleviate pains and cramps during menstrual bleeding
- It can help in lowering cholesterol levels and reducing body weight
- It decreases the risk of developing cardiovascular (heart and blood related) issues
- It supports healthy ovulation as well as pregnancy
- It can reduce the symptoms of acne vulgaris
How to use Ceylon cinnamon
Ceylon cinnamon can be used in various ways including making teas, adding it into golden milk, or consuming Ceylon cinnamon capsules as a dietary supplement. A little amount of Ceylon cinnamon supplement can make a big difference.
Dosages of Ceylon cinnamon supplements may vary depending on the severity of the PCOS symptoms and other associated health conditions. In general, dosages range from 400 mg to 4000 mg per day. These doses can be taken in two to three divided doses as well.
Precautions and side effects
Ceylon cinnamon is generally considered safe and well-tolerable for most women with PCOS up to 4000 mg per day. And you should remember, more is not always better since it works wonders in little amounts.
Taking larger doses for a long period may cause irritation in the gastrointestinal tract and produce some adverse effects such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and drowsiness. But these side effects are not common for all.
The therapeutic potency of Ceylon cinnamon supplements widely varies depending on the purity and methods used in the manufacturing process. When considering buying a Ceylon cinnamon, make sure you choose only a reputed and reliable dietary supplement brand like Vorst from Canada that provides natural ingredients and does not use any artificial additives or yeasts in their products.
Like with all dietary supplements, please consult with a certified natural medicine professional or nutritionist before taking Ceylon cinnamon or any supplements for PCOS especially if you have diabetes or metabolic syndrome or taking medications for any existing underlying health conditions.
Ceylon cinnamon is considered one of the most popular medicinal spices that work wonders as a natural PCOS remedy. There is a growing interest in contemporary medical studies to figure out the secret benefits of Ceylon cinnamon for PCOS and its associated symptoms.
According to available evidence to date, Ceylon cinnamon has been described to have many significant health benefits in women with PCOS including improving hormonal stability, regulating blood sugar, lowering blood cholesterol, reducing inflammation, and losing body fat.
The human body requires very little Ceylon cinnamon to work wonders in PCOS symptoms and overdoses may produce some adverse effects. Therefore, always ask your nutritionist or healthcare specialist so that he or she can determine the best dosage for you.
Here you can see Vorst’s natural and pure Ceylon Cinnamon 600 mg Vegan Capsules.